Notice of Educational Options for Children who Reside in the School District
Educational options for students who are enrolled in the Whitefish Bay School District under section 118.57 of the state statutes, that involve part-time attendance at an educational institution other than a school of the Whitefish Bay School District include the following:
- Youth Options- Students who are enrolled in 11th or 12th grade may apply to take courses at certain institutions of higher education.
- Course Options-- Students may apply to take up to two courses at a time at another educational institution, subject to state and local eligibility requirements, including the limitation that the courses must satisfy a high school requirement.
Additional educational options for children who reside in the District that involve full time enrollment/attendance at a school under section 118.57 of the state statues, program or other educational institution that is not a school or instrumentality of the Whitefish Bay School District include the following:
- Open Enrollment- Provides opportunities for students to attend another public school of a nonresident school district or attendance through a virtual charter school that is associated with a nonresident school district.
- Beginning in the 2016-2017 school year, a child with a disability who meets the program's specific eligibility requirements may apply to attend an eligible, participating private school under a scholarship awarded through the State's "Special Needs Scholarship Program," as established under section 115.7915 of the state statutes.
- Enrollment in a private school participating in the Wisconsin parental choice program. The following participating private school is located within the District's boundaries: Dominican High School.
- Enrollment in a private school of the family's choosing (at the family's own cost, as applicable).
- Enrollment in a home-based private educational program as provided under state law.
Educational options for children who reside in the Whitefish Bay School District boundaries but who are enrolled in and attending a private school or home-based private educational program include the following:
- Such students have the opportunity to attend summer school classes/programs offered in the District, provided eligibility requirements are met.
- Private school students in the high school grades have the opportunity to apply for approval to take up to two courses per semester in a District school, provided space is available and pursuant to section 118.145(4) of the state statutes.
- Students who are enrolled in a home-based private educational program have the opportunity to participate in District interscholastic athletics and other District extracurricular activities as provided under section 118.133 of the state statutes and they can apply for approval to take up to two courses per semester in public schools, provided space is available and pursuant to section 118.53 of the state statues.
Additional information on educational options are located on links found on the right side of this webpage or the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.