Summary of College Application Process
- Obtain your application online from the post-secondary school's website. Some may have their own application form to fill out, while others will use the Common Application (www.commonapp.org).
- Complete the online application and pay the school's application fee.
- Using Naviance/Family Connection, upload the schools into your account so teachers and counselors can see where you have applied.
- Ask teachers for letters of recommedation, if necessary. Make sure to ask them in advance, giving them at least 4 weeks to write a letter. Ask them in person first, then "request" them via Family Connection.
- Send standardized test scores to the schools you applied to. *It is the student’s responsibility to have official test scores sent from ACT or SAT.
- Finally, give your counselor a completed college application form (it's a gold sheet found in the Counseling Department) along with the transcript fee ($3.00 for each college you apply to).
Note: Some schools require SAT Subject tests, so be sure to check your schools.
*To send scores to your schools, go to www.act.org or www.collegeboard.com
*Be sure to watch your application deadlines! Some schools have scholarship deadlines that may come earlier than their regular admissions deadline.
*See your counselor during any of the above steps if you have any questions or if you encounter problems.